Single Herb Spotlight: Motherwort Herb
There are some herbs that tend to outshine the others because they support several body systems and promote overall wellness. Motherwort is one of those herbs. This ancient herbal remedy has been used for centuries to promote a healthy body and mind.
From heart support to calming the mind, motherwort is fast, safe, and effective. If you are considering taking motherwort, here's what you need to know.
What is Motherwort Herb?
Motherwort herb, also called lion's tail or lion's ear, is used as an herbal supplement to support several systems including the nervous system, women’s cycle, and more, but it is probably best known for supporting the cardiovascular system and healthy heart circulation. Motherwort extract has a variety of beneficial properties which is why it is a significant part of traditional herbalism throughout the world.
This perennial herb is a member of the mint family. It stands between two feet and five feet tall with a square ribbed stem and few branches. Its leaves are dull green with a fuzz that makes them seem hairy and it has purple flowers. The sharp, bitter taste has not deterred its success as an herbal remedy that dates to ancient times. The botanical name is Leonurus cardiaca which refers to the way the leaves resemble a lion's tail (Leonurus) and the way it calms and supports the cardiovascular system.
Motherwort extract has been used for centuries in many cultures, including in the United States.
Where Does Motherwort Herb Originate From?
Motherwort is a hearty herb that is native to Russia, central Eurasia, central Asia, and southeast Europe, but has found its way to North America. It is a popular garden addition due to its reputation of being a positive plant for the body but is also considered an invasive weed in many areas. Both the flowers and leaves are used for tinctures, teas, and other supplements.
Motherwort can now be found in nearly every state in the United States with the exception of the southern coastal states, including Florida and Louisiana. It has also not been found in California.
While the plant is sold as a herbal supplement in many commercial nurseries in the U.S. and around the world, it is still classified as an invasive plant species. It can be found in woodland areas, typically along paths or in clearings as well as thickets. It also occurs near edges of degraded wetlands, areas that are partially shaded such as fence rows, and under the shade of trees. In woodland areas, it can easily invade and take over.
When grown in a controlled environment, such as a garden or greenhouse, it grows easily and contained well. It is easy to sow and tend when grown for the purpose of using it to support wellness.
What are the Top Benefits of Motherwort Herb?
The common name Motherwort means "mother's herb" which hints at the many advantages it provides to women. Its benefits extend even further though. It is packed with minerals and vitamins which is why it is so good for the body.
Motherwort Herb is said to help with the following:
- Circulatory Support: It may also help blood pressure, blood circulation, and increased heartbeats associated with tension and stress.
- Respiratory Support: There is some evidence that motherwort may help with the respiratory system, allowing for freer breathing.
- Nervous Support: Supports nervous system which allows it to function more effectively, especially during stressful situations. This calming effect can potentially be seen throughout the body as it helps to relax and improve your mood.
- Endocrine Support: May help women’s symptoms associated with menstrual cycles and libido. Our Revive Her Drive tincture uses motherwort herb to support a women’s drive.
Motherwort is a whole-body herb that is beneficial in so many areas.
There have not been enough scientific studies to establish concrete support for some of these claims, but many, many people tout the effectiveness of this herb. Your healthcare provider can help you decide if motherwort might be right for you. If you can, find a provider who supports natural healthcare. They will have medical knowledge as well as knowledge about natural remedies and herbal supplements.
What is the Best Way to Use Motherwort Herb?
There are several ways to ingest motherwort herb, including:
- Motherwort tincture - At Cedar Bear, our motherwort supplement is in the form of a 100% alcohol-free tincture that has a much better taste than other tinctures. However, if the taste bothers you, you can always take it with a little honey or lemon to ease the bitter taste.
- Herbal vinegar - Herbal vinegar has some great benefits. The vinegar extracts the vitamins and minerals from the herbs, turning the vinegar into a nutrient packed supplement. If you want to get the most nutritious bang for your buck, add some vinegar to your vegetables and salads.
- Motherwort tonic - A tonic is a liquid extract that is somewhat similar to a very potent tea. Also known as brews, they are created by boiling herbs in water for at least ten hours, typically more. This makes them very strong in flavor and nutrient content.
- Motherwort tea - This is another common preparation for this herb. The dried leaves and flowers are steeped in water that has been brought to boiling and then removed from the heat. It is steeped for 10 minutes and can be sweetened with honey, raw cane sugar, lemon, or fruit.
- Fomentation - Essentially, this is an herbal compress. It is made by covering the herbs with boiling water and allowing them to sit for about 30 minutes. It is then strained while retaining the liquid. A cloth is submerged in the liquid and the excess is squeezed out. The moistened cloth is then applied to the area of the body that is being treated.
There are a number of ways Motherwort herb can be used. However, at Cedar Bear, we recommend our herbal tincture. Cedar Bear’s herbal tinctures are 100% alcohol free which prevents the denaturing of the herb and the herbs benefits. Furthermore, an herbal tincture is a more efficient method. With a few drops a day, you can have the wellness boosts you need.
How to Take Motherwort Herb
It is important to note that motherwort is not recommended for pregnant women. If you have any concerns about taking the herb, you can talk to your healthcare provider and determine if it is right for you.
At Cedar Bear, we have three products that feature motherwort:
It is recommended that you take these tinctures up to three times a day for several days. If you encounter any side effects from using motherwort, contact your healthcare provider. You may need to lower your dose or stop it completely.
Motherwort is a safe, effective herbal remedy that can address a broad spectrum. If you are considering taking this herb, we have the best. All our tinctures are organic, non-GMO, 100% alcohol-free, and ethically harvested.
Visit our online store today and choose from some of the cleanest, purest, highest quality tinctures on the market today. We want to be your wellness partner and we have to products you need for your entire family, including your four-legged family members. When you want natural health products you can trust, choose Cedar Bear.