What is Nascent Iodine?
Nascent iodine is the mono-elemental form of iodine rather than the chemically manufactured mineral salts bound form. The term "nascent" refers to the mono-element atomic form of iodine, which is thought to be more body-friendly and bioavailable compared to mineral salts of iodine.
Iodine is an essential element for every living being. While severe clinical iodine deficiency isn’t as prevalent in the United States as it is in other parts of the world, most of us still need more iodine than we are getting in our diets, so supplementing with iodine is very important.
Iodine is a chemical element that is on the periodic elements chart as I, #53. It was named from the Greek word for violet because of the violet colored vapor it gives off when pure iodine crystals are exposed to the air. Our nascent iodine is a supplemental form of iodine that is deep-earth sourced and resublimated.
Our Nascent Iodine supplement is a mix of nascent iodine, USP grade Kosher & Halal certified GMO-Free vegetable glycerin and purified water that is together made using our proprietary Pureodine™ process to make the most effective and enjoyable nascent iodine supplement available.
Signs of Needing Iodine Supplements
If you are experiencing low or fluctuating moods, difficulty losing weight, low energy, brain fog, dry skin, dry hair and brittle nails, feel sensitive to cold, or have cold hands and feet, you may benefit from supplementing your diet with our nascent iodine. Supplementing your diet daily with the right kind of iodine, nascent iodine specifically, supports not only your thyroid tissues, but helps with all aspects of health.
Benefits of Nascent Iodine
Iodine is essential for thyroid health, metabolism and immunity. Without it, the thyroid gland cannot produce thyroid hormones, thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). Low iodine levels affect endocrine function, metabolic balance, and immune activity, so it is important to make sure we have the adequate levels of iodine we need on a daily basis to support our thyroid, endocrine, metabolic, and immune systems. Nascent iodine is a more bioavailable and potent form of iodine compared to other forms, such as potassium iodide or other mineral salts of iodine. All the cells in your body contain and make use of iodine, but it is concentrated in the glandular system of your body, with your thyroid containing the highest amount compared to any other organ.
Some of the potential benefits of our Nascent Iodine supplement include:
- Benefits Thyroid Function: Iodine is an essential nutrient that is important for the production of thyroid hormones. Nascent iodine may help to support thyroid function and prevent iodine deficiency.
- Boosting Immune Function: Nascent iodine drives and boosts immune function in the body.
- Supporting detoxification: Iodine is also involved in the detoxification of the body, particularly of heavy metals. Nascent iodine may help to support the body's natural detoxification processes.
- Improves Clarity and Alertness: Iodine is important for brain development and cognitive function, particularly in children. Nascent iodine may help to support cognitive function.
- Boosts Metabolism and Maintains Energy Levels: Providing your body with iodine regularly can increase the body's metabolic efficiency, which can in turn lead to more sustained energy.
- Fights Against Environmental and Dietary Toxins: Nascent Iodine can have a role in supporting the body's natural detoxification process. It may help to reduce the levels of heavy metals and neutralize free radicals, support the liver, and protect cells from oxidative stress from toxins.
- Supporting Overall health: Iodine is important for overall health, including cardiovascular health, reproductive health, nerve health, and bone health. Nascent iodine may help to support these biological processes and lead to improved health.
How Much Nascent Iodine Should I Take?
It is believed by many that the U.S. RDA for iodine is absurdly low and does not adequately address a true ‘minimum’ daily iodine requirement. Our nascent iodine’s recommended daily dose is intended to resolve this concern. The time it takes to see benefits from our nascent iodine’s recommended daily dosage may vary depending on individual health status and needs, as well as other factors such as diet and lifestyle. Our 1 oz bottles contain 100 servings of 6 drops per dose. Some people may start to notice benefits within a few days to a few weeks of starting to take our nascent iodine, while others may take longer to see results.
It's also important to follow dosage instructions carefully and not to exceed our recommended daily intake for our nascent iodine. If you are taking medications, consult with your healthcare professional. They can provide guidance on the appropriate dosage and potential interactions with other medications or supplements you may be taking.
Who Should Take Iodine as a Supplement?
Iodine supplementation is recommended for all people of all ages. The most important times are when preparing for and during pregnancy and nursing, (pregnant and nursing women need more than double the daily amount of iodine than they would normally need), and for infants and young children. It’s not possible to overemphasize how important daily iodine supplementation is during these periods of time for the development of a fetus’ brain stem, and child’s brain function, immune function, central nervous system, and overall health.
USDA recommendations (RDA) in the United States are set only to avert gross clinical goiter in adults (thyroid swelling due to inadequate iodine) and cretinism (congenital mental retardation) in children. These recommended daily allowances do not adequately address our need for healthy levels of iodine and the need for increasing our iodine levels in today’s world to obtain and maintain optimal health.
What Are Ways I Can Take Nascent Iodine Supplements?
There are several ways to take and use our liquid nascent iodine supplements. A couple of our favorite ways are:
- Sublingual: This involves placing a few nascent iodine drops of the liquid under your tongue and holding it there for several seconds before swallowing. This method allows for rapid absorption of the iodine, via the oral mucosa, into the bloodstream. Then drink a small glass of water.
- Mixed with water: You can mix the liquid nascent iodine with a small amount of pure water and drink it. This can be a convenient way to take the supplement, especially if you find the taste of iodine to be unpleasant. (Do not use with chlorinated or fluoridated water.)
- Mixed with juice or other beverages: Even though our nascent iodine is more mild tasting than other forms of iodine, if you don't care for the taste, you can mix it with juice or other beverages to mask the flavor.
- Added to food: You can also add liquid nascent iodine to foods such as smoothies, soups, or stews (after cooking foods/beverages just prior to serving) to increase your iodine intake.
Can You Be Allergic to Iodine?
For those that may be concerned about allergies, it is not possible to be allergic to minerals such as iodine. Allergic reactions are caused by proteins, not minerals. For instance, shellfish allergies are to the proteins in the shellfish, not to the iodine, and reactions to some iodine preparations are to the solutions they are in, not to the iodine itself.
Why Cedar Bear?
Here at Cedar Bear we use our alcohol-free Pureodine™ process. Our nascent iodine is never subjected to alcohol at any time during the process. That means our nascent iodine is also ‘Halal’ compliant!
We pride ourselves in having herbal extract supplements and nascent iodine with no preservatives, gluten or dairy, synthetic colors, artificial flavors or sweeteners. We want only the best for your herbal and iodine supplements. We are FDA cGMP compliant, non-GMO, Kosher Certified, Halal compliant, and Vegan Certified so that everyone can get the extensive benefits of our herbal supplements. Please feel free to contact our team with any questions you may have.
(These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product, or any product of Cedar Bear Naturales, is not intended to diagnose, treat, mitigate, cure or prevent any disease.)